Your Offer

1 - Email Notification of Financial Aid Offer

You, the student, are sent an email notification with your financial aid offer. Emails from our office will always be sent to your email account, unless you haven’t yet set it up. Once you have the email, you’ll also be able to view the offer through your MyUW Student Center.

About the Offer

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

Understanding Your Offer

Your expected family contribution (EFC) as determined by your FAFSA determines your financial need and eligibility for various sources of financial aid.

Cost of Attendance – You can expect to have both direct costs (billed by the UW) as well as indirect costs (costs we estimate and you’re likely to incur, but are not billed by the UW). As the indirect costs are estimated, we strongly encourage you to plan your own specific budget based on your housing choice & meal plan, transportation needs, etc. Visit the Cost of Attendance page for more information.

Grants & Scholarships – FREE money to help lower your cost to attend UW-Madison. Grants and scholarships are not repaid.

*Depending on when you review your offer, any scholarships you’ve been offered from UW-Madison may or may not yet be reflected.*

Net Cost – this is your estimated cost of attendance minus any grants and scholarships that you were offered.

Student Loans – Accepted loans will need to be repaid after you complete your degree. Subsidized loans do not accrue interest until after you graduate. Unsubsidized loans start accruing interest at the time of disbursement, but no student loan requires repayment until either you drop below half-time enrollment or graduate.

Federal Work-Study – Provides the opportunity to work part-time for any UW-Madison department or for approved community non-profit organizations to help pay for college costs. Wages earned are paid directly to you via direct deposit. However, a student doesn’t have to have work-study to be able to work on-campus.

The total amount of need-based sources of financial aid (grants, scholarships, subsidized loans, and work study) cannot exceed a student’s financial need.

Only unsubsidized loans, PLUS, or private loans can cover any portion of your EFC.

For more information – review our Types of Aid.

Reporting Non-UW Aid

You are obligated to notify us if you receive any type of financial assistance not already listed as part of your financial aid. We may need to adjust your financial aid as a result of your Non-UW financial assistance.

To notify our office, please report this additional aid in your MyUW Student Center:

For MOBILE access – click on the Financial Aid tile and look for Outside Aid. Then click the green ‘Report Outside Aid’ button, which will open a new window to report the details and click Submit.

For DESKTOP access – click on the Financial Aid tile. Under Awards, look for Outside Aid. Then click the green ‘Report Outside Aid’ button, which will open a new window to report the details and click Submit.

Your request can take 2 – 5 business days to process. Once it has been reviewed, you will receive e-mail notification from our office.

Can additional scholarships impact my offer?


Because free and need-based sources of financial aid cannot exceed a student’s financial need, if your current financial aid offer is already meeting your full financial need and another scholarship is reported – other financial aid will have to be reduced to make room for the additional funds. We will always notify you via email of any changes made to your financial aid.

Appealing Your Offer

If your family has experienced significant income changes or have additional expenses that are not reflected on the FAFSA, you may be eligible to apply for a professional judgment (appeal).  To appeal, inform us of your special circumstance by sending a written statement explaining your situation in detail along with supporting documentation to us (email, fax, or mail). Be sure to include your name and campus ID number. We will notify you as soon as possible of any change resulting from your special circumstance.

Read more about Special Circumstances here.

Because of funding limits, please be aware that a recalculation of your financial aid eligibility does not guarantee that any additional financial aid will be offered to you. To ensure fairness and compliance with federal, state, and university regulations there are limits to the circumstances we can consider.

**We do not consider or match offers of financial aid from other schools.**

Federal Pell Grant Census

Federal Pell Grant regulations require that our office confirm your enrollment at a single point in time during the semester called the Pell Census.  For each semester, we will confirm all Pell Grant recipients’ enrollment at 11:59pm on the last day to add a class.

If your enrollment status changes during this period, we will adjust the amount of your disbursed Federal Pell Grant accordingly and we will notify you via email.  If the adjustment results in a reduction to your Federal Pell Grant, you will be required to repay the excess funds you received to the Bursar’s Office.

Additional Funding Sources*

*This is not a comprehensive list.

2 - Accept/Decline Your Offer

Access your Student Center through MyUW:

For MOBILE access – click on the Financial Aid tile and look for your Outstanding Offers.
For DESKTOP access – click on the Financial Aid tile. Under Awards, look for Accept/Decline to review, edit, and accept or decline your offer.

Grants and scholarships within your financial aid offer are automatically accepted on your behalf. You will need to actively accept any offers of federal work-study and loans.

3 - First Time Loan Borrower? Complete Loan Requirements

Federal Direct Loans all require a signed Master Promissory Note (MPN) and many will also require that you complete Entrance Counseling. Both requirements are completed online through

Institutional Loans also require a Promissory Note (PN), but you’ll sign it online through Heartland ECSI.

Request Action

If you would like to have a revision made to your financial aid, please request an action from your MyUW Student Center. To submit a request, please follow these steps:

  1. Log-in to your MyUW.
  2. Click on the link to your Student Center.
  3. Click on the Financial Aid tile.
  4. If using a desktop computer, there will be a navigation menu on the left-hand of your screen. Under the “Awards” section, you will find “Request Action.” If using a mobile device, you will see a condensed navigation menu with “Request Action” at the bottom.
  5. Click on “Request Action.”
  6. Enter any details for your request into the text box and then click “Save.”

Your request can take 2 – 5 business days to process. Once it has been reviewed, you will receive e-mail notification from our office.