University of Wisconsin–Madison


1. Submit the FAFSA® – School Code 003895

  • What is the FSA ID and how do I get one?

    An FSA ID is a username and password that you must use to log in to certain U.S. Department of Education (ED) websites. Your FSA ID identifies you as someone who has the right to access your own personal information on ED websites such as the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®).

    If you are a parent of a dependent student, you will need your own FSA ID if you want to sign your child’s FAFSA electronically. If you have more than one child attending college, you can use the same FSA ID to sign all applications. Please note: Each FSA ID user must have a unique e-mail address.

    Your FSA ID is used to sign legally binding documents electronically. It has the same legal status as a written signature. Don’t give your FSA ID to anyone—not even to someone helping you fill out the FAFSA. Sharing your FSA ID could put you at risk of identity theft!

    To create or retrieve a forgotten FSA ID, please go to

    More information on the FSA ID can be found on the Federal Student Aid website.

  • What documents will I need to be able to complete the FAFSA?

    The FAFSA asks for information about you (i.e. your name, date of birth, address, etc.) and about your financial situation. Depending on your circumstances (for instance, whether you’re a U.S. citizen or what tax form you used), you might need the following information or documents as you fill out the FAFSA:

    • Your Social Security number (it’s important that you enter it correctly on the FAFSA!)
    • Your parents’ Social Security numbers if you are a dependent student
    • Your Alien Registration number if you are not a U.S. citizen
    • Federal tax information* or tax returns including IRS W-2 information, for you (and your spouse if you are married), and for your parents if you are a dependent student:
      • IRS 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ
      • Foreign tax return and/or
      • Tax return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, or Palau
    • Records of your untaxed income, such as child support received, interest income, and veterans noneducation benefits, for you and for your parents if you are a dependent student
    • Information on cash; savings and checking account balances; investments, including stocks and bonds and real estate but not including the home in which you live; and business and farm assets for you and for your parents if you are a dependent student

    Keep these records! You may need them again.

    *You may be able to have your tax information imported automatically from the IRS into your FAFSA with the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) – more information about using the tool can be found on the Federal Student Aid website.

  • Am I dependent or independent for financial aid purposes?

    Your answers to questions on the FAFSA® determine whether you are considered a dependent or independent student.

    If you are any of the following, you may be considered an independent student: At least 24 years old, a grad/professional student, married or separated, have a (non-spouse) dependent, been in foster care, both parents passed away after age 13, if you are a ward of the court, an emancipated minor, have a non parental legal guardian, an unaccompanied youth who is homeless or at risk of homelessness. You may also be considered independent if you are currently serving on active duty or are a veteran of the U.S. armed forces.

    If you can say YES to one of the questions, then for federal student aid purposes, you’re considered to be an independent student and you will not be required to provide information about your parents on the FAFSA.

    If you answered NO to all of the questions, then for federal student aid purposes, you’re considered to be a dependent student, and you must provide information about your parents on the FAFSA.

    Not living with parents or not being claimed by them on tax forms does not make you an independent student for purposes of applying for federal student aid.

    If you have no contact with your parents and don’t know where they live, or you’ve left home due to an abusive situation, fill out the FAFSA and then immediately get in touch with our office to further discuss your situation and options available to you.

  • Who is considered my parent on the FAFSA?

    If your parents are married (even if one is a step-parent) report both incomes on the FAFSA. If your parents are divorced or separated, report the income of the parent you live with the most.

    More information can be found on the Federal Student Aid website.

  • Should I use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool?

    You’re not required to, but we strongly recommend that you use it! It means there is no need to locate your tax return and enter in all those numbers yourself, and it may reduce the chance that our office will need additional documentation.

  • I need help completing my FAFSA - Where can I get help?

    You are always welcome to schedule an appointment to sit down with one our financial aid advisors for assistance with completing the FAFSA.

    We also hold several FAFSA Completion events throughout the year – check the UW Events Calendar for any upcoming events.

    College Goal Wisconsin is a state-wide program designed to assist students and families in timely completion of the FAFSA.

    High school seniors should also check with their counseling office for any local FAFSA assistance or events.

  • How can I report special circumstances to your office?

    To inform us of your special circumstances send a written statement explaining your situation in detail along with supporting documentation to us (e-mail, fax, or mail). Be sure to include your name and campus ID number.

    Special circumstances may include (but are not limited to):

    • Death of a parent/spouse
    • Parent loss of job/income
    • High medical/dental bills not covered by insurance and/or high cost of insurance premiums
    • Reduction or loss of untaxed income such as child support or social security benefits
    • Student loss of income resulting from return to school after ceasing full-time employment
    • Child care costs for student’s dependent(s)

    Circumstances we are not able to consider include (but are not limited to):

    • Car payments
    • Consumer debt
    • High mortgage payments
    • Tuition expenses for parent in college
    • Weddings

    Upon review, we may find it necessary to request additional information.

    We will notify you as soon as possible of any change resulting from your special circumstances. Because of funding limits, please be aware that a recalculation of your financial aid eligibility does not guarantee that any additional aid will be offered to you. In addition, to ensure fairness and compliance with federal, state and university regulations, there are limits to the circumstances we can consider.

2. Interested in Summer Financial Aid?

To have your FAFSA considered for the summer semester, make sure to initiate your summer application through your MyUW Student Center. Under Finances, click View Financial Aid, then the upcoming academic year (2018), and look for the Summer Application link to notify our office of your summer financial need.

You must be enrolled at least half-time to be eligible for summer financial aid.  Review our enrollment chart for details.

If you are considering taking summer classes at a different college/university, contact our office, as additional paperwork will be required.

3. Apply for Scholarships@UW

Search for information about our available scholarships and access the application dashboard through Scholarships@UW. You can also access the application dashboard through MyUW.

Applications for Incoming Freshmen typically open in early November and have deadlines in early February.

Applications for Continuing Students can be open at any time, so log in to your My Scholarships dashboard often to check for new scholarship matches and apply.

There are also many opportunities for scholarships through outside organizations and businesses – take time to research what else may be out there for you to apply. WARNING! Never pay or provide credit card information when searching for or applying to scholarships.

4. Keep an eye out for email notifications

The financial aid office may request additional information. About 30% of students are selected for a process called verification which requires the school to collect documentation to confirm the accuracy of your FAFSA. You can also view any requested materials through our Verification Portal.

  • How will I know which, if any, documents are required?

    Our office will notify students via email if any documents are required before we are able to process their FAFSA. The email will direct students to our Verification Portal where they will see exactly what’s being requested. Some documents can be completed online and signed electronically; others may have to be obtained elsewhere and uploaded to our system.

  • What is the deadline for submitting verification documents?

    We encourage those selected to submit any requested documentation within 21 days after receiving their e-mail notification.

  • Should I send in documentation, even if your office hasn't requested it?


    Do NOT submit any documents to our office that are not specifically requested. Submitting unsolicited documents could delay the offering of your financial aid award.

  • I submitted my FAFSA, but haven't heard from your office - What should I do?

    Incoming Students (Undergrad/Grad/Professionals):

    • We will not begin processing a FAFSA until you have been fully ADMITTED to your program.

    All students:

    • Confirm that you sent the FAFSA to the correct school with our School Code: 003895. It is a common mistake for our students to list the wrong school code.

    Academic year award offers typically begin going out in February.  Offers for Summer in May.

2017-18 Deadlines

FAFSA Priority Deadline – December 1, 2016

You only have to submit the FAFSA and provide required verification materials to our office once during the academic year.
However, last call for submission of those materials depends on when you need financial aid.

Summer 2017 Financial Aid Applicants – May 15, 2017

Fall 2017 Semester ONLY Financial Aid Applicants – November 15, 2017

Spring 2018 Semester ONLY Financial Aid Applicants- April 15, 2018

2017-18 Academic Year (Fall and Spring) Financial Aid Applicants – April 15, 2018

BE CAREFUL! These deadlines do not necessarily align with tuition deadlines each semester. If for some reason you cannot meet these deadlines, contact our office as soon as possible.