Back in January, UW System President Tommy Thompson announced that a $500 tuition credit would be extended to students working at COVID-19 vaccination sites for the Spring 2021 semester. The UW System had previously provided a tuition credit to nursing and health care students who assisted in hospitals, clinics, and other medical provider locations. When vaccines arrived, the UW System extended the tuition credit to nursing and pharmacy students giving vaccinations while universities also set up community vaccination clinics. Students get to earn real-time experience and a $500 tuition credit to help administer vaccines that combat COVID-19.
“UW nursing and pharmacy students are needed on the front lines of vaccination activities throughout Wisconsin,” President Thompson said. “This $500 tuition credit will assist our students in serving in clinical, campus, Tribal, and other community settings. UW nursing and pharmacy students exemplify the new Wisconsin Idea – where there’s a challenge, the UW System is part of the solution.”
Then in March, President Thompson announced students will be eligible for a new summer $500 tuition credit for working at COVID-19 vaccination sites from May 23 to August 31, 2021.
“Extending this credit over the summer will mean more valuable experience for our students and bringing our communities and our campuses closer to pre-pandemic life,” Thompson said.
Students who receive the tuition credit for the spring semester are also eligible for the summer credit.
A $500 tuition credit will be provided to students who meet the following criteria:
- Must have a current professional or nursing license with authorization to provide vaccination service or coordinate with a Faculty Supervisor if not currently licensed.
- To receive the Spring 2021 credit
- Must be enrolled in a nursing or pharmacy program at a University of Wisconsin System campus during the Spring 2021 semester.
- Must work a minimum of 16 hours, or two days, as a COVID-19 vaccinator between January 1, 2021, and May 22, 2021.
- To receive the Summer 2021 credit
- Must be enrolled in a nursing or pharmacy program at a University of Wisconsin System campus during the 2021 Summer session or Fall 2021 semester.
- Must work a minimum of 16 hours, or two days, as a COVID-19 vaccinator between May 23, 2021, and Aug. 31, 2021.
To be eligible for the tuition credit at UW-Madison, students in the School of Pharmacy and School of Nursing received an email with instructions and the required forms. Students should be prepared to submit verification of the 16 hours worked.
Students that are not U.S. citizens must have proper work authorization in the United States in order to receive this tuition credit as the $500 tuition credit is considered an exchange of service for payment. If you have questions about your work authorizations, please contact the appropriate office based on your visa.
If you didn’t receive the information or have question about the process,
- School of Pharmacy students, contact Dean Karen Kopacek, firstname.lastname@example.org
- School of Nursing students, contact Assistant Dean Katie Bleier, email@example.com
Overall, 1,042 nursing and pharmacy students participated in the initiative through May 22. The credit will be funded through a grant from the Wisconsin Department of Health Services.